Which of the following contains a carbonyl group (C=O)? A. an alcohol B. a ketone C. an ether D....
Which of the following contains a carbonyl group (C=O)?
A. an alcohol
B. a ketone
C. an ether
D. an amine
Organic compounds are a special class of compounds in which they cannot be classified exclusively as ionic or covalent compounds because organic compounds may be other of the two. The only requirement for a compound to be considered an organic compound is for it to have carbon atoms in it. However, some other carbon-containing compounds including carbon dioxide and carbonic acid are not considered organic compounds.
Answer and Explanation: 1
Become a Study.com member to unlock this answer! Create your accountView this answer
To answer this question, each choice will be evaluated.
A. Alcohol is a functional group that contains an -OH group.
B. A ketone contains a...
See full answer below.
Become a member and unlock all Study Answers
Start today. Try it nowCreate an account
Ask a question
Our experts can answer your tough homework and study questions.Ask a question Ask a question
Learn more about this topic:
fromChapter 5 / Lesson 20
Learn about functional groups. Understand what functional groups are, and explore the functional groups list, including alkyl, ester, and aldehyde functional group.
Related to this Question
- Which of the following functional group does not contain a carbonyl group? (a) Ester (b) Alcohol (c) Aldehyde (d) Ketone
- Which functional group is found in the organic compound CH3CH2CH2CH2OH? a. aldehyde b. alcohol c. ketone d. amine
- Which functional group is found in the organic compound CH3CH2NH2? a. aldehyde b. alcohol c. ketone d. amine
- Which functional group is found in the organic compound CH3CH2COCH2CH3? a. aldehyde b. alcohol c. ketone d. amine
- Which functional group(s) is not present in the molecule below? a. Haloalkane b. Ketone c. Ether d. Ester
- Which functional group is present in cholesterol and carbohydrates? A. alcohol B. ketone C. ether D. amide E. aldehyde
- What is the functional group in the molecule below? A) aromatic B) aldehyde C) anhydride D) ester E) alkyne F) alkene G) amine H) carboxylic acid I) ether J) amide K) ketone L) alcohol
- What is the functional group in the molecule below? A) amine B) alkene c) aldehyde D) aromatic E) anhydride F) carboxylic acid G) alcohol H) ketone I) ether J) amide K) alkyne L) ester
- Which class of organic compounds contains nitrogen? a) aldehyde b) alcohol c) amine d) ether
- What functional groups are in ephedrine out of the following: 1. thiol 2. amide 3. aldehyde 4. alcohol 5. ester 6. ether 7. carboxylic acid 8. phenol 9. aromatic 10. amine 11. ketone
- To which class of compounds does the molecule CH3CH2OCH3 belong? A. ketone B. aldehyde C. ether D. amine E. carboxylic acid
- Identify each of the following compounds as a carboxylic acid, ester, ketone, aldehyde, or amine. HOCOCH2CH(CH3)CH3
- Identify each of the following compounds as a carboxylic acid, ester, ketone, aldehyde, or amine. Benzoic acid.
- Ketoconazole isn't really a ketone. What is the functional group containing the carbonyl (C=O)? a) Ester b) Aldehyde c) Acid anhydride d) Amide
- Which functional groups are present in acetaminophen? (a) Ketone (b) Amide (c) Alcohol (d) Amine (e) Benzene ring.
- Choose which of the following has the following functional groups. 1. Carboxylic acid 2. Alcohol 3. Ketone 4. Amide 5. Ester A . C H 3 C H 2 C O N H C H 2 C H 2 C H 2 C H 3 B . C H 3 C H 2 C O C H 3 C . C H 3 C H 2 C O O H D . C H 3 C H 2 O H E . H
- Identify each of the following compounds as a carboxylic acid, ester, ketone, aldehyde, or amine. Benzene-NH-Benzene
- What kinds of organic compounds contain a carbonyl group? A. Ethers. B. Alcohols. C. Aldehydes. D. Ketones. E. Esters.
- To which class of compounds does the molecule CH3CH2NH2 belong? A. ketone B. aldehyde C. alcohol D. amine E. carboxylic acid
- What type of organic compound contains the attached functional group? a. Ketone b. Ester c. Aldehyde d. Amide
- This molecule is found in nail polish remover. What is the functional group? a. Carboxylic acid b. Ester c. Ether d. Ketone
- Which of the following functional groups is absent in the structure below? a) Nitrile b) Ether c) Alcohol d) Alkene e) Ester
- What functional group does the following molecule contain? Ether Ester
- Which functional group is the most reduced? (a) Alkane (b) Alcohol (c) Ketone (d) Carboxylic Acid
- What functional group is contained in most hydrolyzable lipids? (a) Amide (b) Ether (c) Ester (d) Carboxylic acid (e) Alkene.
- What functional group is in the following molecule? Aldehyde Alcohol Ester
- Which of the following is formed when an aldehyde or a ketone undergoes an addition reaction with an alcohol molecule in the presence of an acid catalyst? a. ester b. ether c. hemiacetal d. alkene
- Which of the following functional groups contain no heteroatoms? Select all that apply. A. alkene B. alkyne C. ketone D. amine E. ester
- What group of organic compounds has a hydroxyl group -O-H attached to a carbon atom? (select one and explain your answer) a. Alcohols b. Amines c. Ethers d. Ketones
- Which of the following families of organic compounds does NOT contain an oxygen atom? - carboxylic acid - ketone - amine - alcohol
- Identify the functional groups in the following: A. carboxylic acid B. ester C. ketone D. aldehyde E. aromatic F. alkene G. alcohol H. amide I. ester J. amine
- Which of the following does not contain a C=O bond? A) ketones B) aldehydes C) esters D) amides E) ethers
- What group of organic compounds has a hydroxyl group -O-H attached to a carbon atom? - Alcohols. - Amines. - Ethers. - Ketones.
- Which functional group is associated with proteins? a. Alkyl halide b. Amine c. Alcohol d. Carboxylic acid
- The molecule HO----OH contains two of which functional group? \\ A. ether B. aldehyde C. alcohol D. hydroxide
- Which of the following types of compounds do not contain oxygen? a. alcohols b. aldehydes c. esters d. amines e. ketones
- This compound CH_3COOCH_2CH_2CH_3 is an example of a\an _____. Choose one of the following: alcohol, amine, aldehyde, ketone, ester, amide, ether or nitrile.
- What is the condensed structural formula of a simple molecule with an ether, aldehyde, ketone, ester, or alcohol functional group?
- 1) What functional group is not present in the compound below? a) ether b) amide c) amine d) arene 2) What is the name of the following compound?
- Identify the functional group below. a. amide b. amine c. ketone d. alkene
- Which of the following is an incorrect pairing between the given formula and the type of functional group? a) CH2 CHCH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH3, alkene b) CH3OCH3, amine c) CH3CH2OH, alcohol d) (CH3)2CO, ketone
- To which family of organic compounds does this compound belong? Select one: a. Ketone b. Aldehyde c. Acid d. Ether
- When a ketone is reacted with Grignard reagents, what type of alcohol is formed?
- Identify the functional groups in Pravachol? carboxylic acid, ether, ketone, aldehyde, ester, alcohol
- Which of the following would give a positive Tollens test? a. An aldehyde. b. Carboxylic acids. c. Both aldehydes and ketones. d. A ketone. e. Alcohols.
- What functional groups are present in aspirin? a. ether, ketone, and carboxylic acid b. carboxylic acid and ester c. ester and phenol d. carboxylic acid and ketone
- Which of the following will yield a carboxylic acid upon oxidation? (a) A secondary alcohol (b) An aldehyde (c) A cycloalkane (d) A ketone (e) A tertiary alcohol
- What two functional groups react to form an amide? a. ester and an alcohol b. carboxylic acid and an amine c. carboxylic acid and an alcohol d. ester and an amine
- What is the name of the functional group in the following compound? R-OH a. alcohol b. ester c. carboxylic
- Which classes of organic compounds contain a carbonyl functional group?
- The functional group contained in the compound CH3-CH2-OH is a(n): a) aldehyde b) alkene c) alcohol d) ketone e) ether
- Which functional group cannot be reduced with sodium borohydride? a. Ketone. b. Aldehyde. c. Carboxylic acid.
- Which of the following can be obtained from hydrolysis of simple glycosides? (a) Alcohol (b) Ester (c) Ether (d) Amine
- Which of the following compounds is an ether? Which of the following compounds is a ketone? Which of the following compounds is an aldehyde? Which of the following compounds has the greatest heat of c
- What functional group is found in alcohols?
- Which of the following contains an amide linkage?
- Which of the following families of organic compounds does not contain an oxygen atom? A) Alcohol B) Phenol C) Carboxylic acid D) Ketone E) None of the above
- Which of the following organic molecules has an amine functional group, and only an amine? a)R-O-R' b)RNHC(O)R' c)RC(O)NR'R" d)RNHR'
- Vanillin has functional groups aldehyde, ether, and phenol. Which one is missing?
- What is the name of the functional group present in the compound below? A) Acyl halide B) Amine C) Amide D) Nitrile E) Aldehyde F) Ketones
- Phenol is an organic compound that contains which functional group?
- Which combination of chemicals makes an ester? Select one: a. An alcohol and an aldehyde. b. A carboxylic acid and an alcohol. c. A carboxylic acid and an ether. d. An alcohol and an ether.
- What aldehyde or ketone gives these alcohols upon reduction with NaBH4?
- A compound with the molecular formula C6H14O could be which of the following? a. an acid b. an aldehyde c. an ether d. a ketone
- What type of functional group is created when a primary alcohol is oxidized with PCC/DCM? A. Ketone B. Carboxylic acid C. Aldehyde D. Epoxide
- which of the following would result from the oxidation of secondary alcohols? a) primary alcohol b) a carboxylic acid c) A ketone d) An ester e) An aldehyde
- Which of the following compounds can be used to make a carboxylic acid? A. 2-pentanone B. hexane C. isopropyl alcohol D. ethanol E. none of the above
- Which two functional groups combined give the functional group found in carboxylic acids? A)carbonyl and hydroxyl B)carbonyl and amine C)ether and hydroxyl D)ester and hydroxyl E)chlorido and carbonyl
- To which class of compounds does the molecule CH3CH=CH2 belong? A. alkane B. aldehyde C. alcohol D. alkene E. carboxylic acid
- Which of the following will give a positive Tollen's test? a. aldehydes b. alcohols c. amines d. carboxylic acids
- The functional group of which type of compound does not contain any multiple bonds? A) Carboxylic acid B) Alkene C) Aldehyde D) Aromatic E) Alcohol
- Which of the following compounds are aldol condensation products? What is the aldehyde or ketone precursor of each? (a) 2-hydroxy-2-methylpentanal. (b) 5-ethyl-4-methyl-4-hepten-3-one.
- Which carboxylic acid and alcohol are required to make the following ester?
- Which of the following is ethyl propyl ether? a. CH_3C(CH_3)_2CH(CH_3)CH_2CH_2CH_3. b. CH_3CH-CH_2. c. CH_3CH_2CH_2CH_2OH. d. CH_3CH_2OCH_2CH_2CH_3. e. CH_3CH=CHCHBrCH_2CH_2CH_3.
- What are the functional groups present in Diethyl ether?
- Select the single best answer. A 4-carbon molecule contains a single carboxylic acid group. An isomer of this molecule can be drawn that contains a different functional group. Name the new functional group. A. ketone B. ether C. ester D. alcohol E. aldehy
- Which alcohol and carboxylic acid would produce isoamyl propanoate by Fischer esterification?
- Deduce the class of organic compounds (ester, ether, ketone, etc.) to which the given compound belongs.
- How is a compound which contains an aldehyde functionality and a hydroxyl group named? a. as an aldehyde with a substituent b. as an alcohol with a substituent c. as an aldohol d. as an alcohol
- What aldehyde or ketone is needed to prepare the below compound by an aldol reaction?
- An aldehyde contains the carbonyl group. Ketones, carboxylic acids, and esters also contain the carbonyl group. What distinguishes these latter compounds from an aldehyde?
- What carbonyl compound and amine are formed by the hydrolysis of the given compound below?
- What carbonyl compound and amine are formed by the hydrolysis of the following compound?
- What carbonyl compound and amine are formed by the hydrolysis of the given compound?
- The alcohol 1-pentanol can be oxidized into which of the following? a) secondary alcohol b) aldehyde c) ketone d) none of the above
- From what aldehyde or ketone is the given molecule prepared by an aldol reaction?
- Which of the following will reduce an aldehyde to a primary alcohol? (a) NaBH_4 (b) CH_3MgBr (c) PCC (d) H_2CrO_4 (e) HCN.
- The compound CH_3CH_2OCH_2CH_3 is \\ A. an ether B. an alcohol C. a ketone D. an ester E. an aldehyde
- Which of the following compounds contain an acyl group? A)esters, ethers, carboxylic acids B)esters, carboxylic acids, amines C)esters, carboxylic acids, amides D)esters, alcohols, amines E)ethers, amides, esters
- 1. Which of the following best differentiates an aldehyde from a ketone? a. In aldehydes, carbon is bonded to a hydroxyl group. b. In aldehydes, hydrogen is bonded to an oxygen group. c. In aldehydes,
- What aldehyde or ketone might the given enone has been prepared from by aldol reaction?
- What is the full aldol dehydration reaction mechanism, using R groups for the unknown ketone and aldehyde?
- What aldehyde or ketone is needed to prepare the given compound by an aldol reaction?
- What aldehyde or ketone is needed to prepare the following compound by an aldol reaction?
- Which of the following functional groups are o,p-directing? a) Br, CH2CH3, NH2 b) Cl, NH2, COOH c) I, SO3H, OH d) OCH3, Cl, COCH3 e) NO2, CH3, OH
- What are the functional groups for the following compounds? (i.e functional groups include ---- aldehyde, alkyl halide, amide, carboxylic acid, saturated hydrocarbon, unsaturated hydrocarbon) (a) ClCH2CH2CH2CH3 (b) CH2CHCH2CH2CH3 (c) CH3CH2COOH
- Which of the following compounds is an aldehyde? a. CH3CH2OH b. CH3CH2COCH3 c. CH3OCH3 d. CH3COCH3 e. CH3CHO
- Identify the reactant from which the given molecule was prepared. If an acetal, identify the carbonyl compound and the alcohol; if an imine, identify the carbonyl compound and the amine; if alcohol, identify the carbonyl compound and the Grignard reagent
- What functional group represents an amide?
- What Grignard reagent and aldehyde (or ketone) are needed to prepare the following alcohol? Show all possible routes.