Which of the following bones articulates with the mandible? A) Occipital bone B) Parietal bone...
Which of the following bones articulates with the mandible?
A) Occipital bone
B) Parietal bone
C) Temporal bone
D) Lacrimal bone
The mandible is one of the bones that forms the skull. It is colloquially known as the jaw. It allows for the process of chewing by making the mouth open and close.
Answer and Explanation:
Become a Study.com member to unlock this answer! Create your accountView this answer
See full answer below.
Become a member and unlock all Study Answers
Start today. Try it nowCreate an account
Ask a question
Our experts can answer your tough homework and study questions.Ask a question Ask a question
Learn more about this topic:
The Eight Bones That Form the Cranium
fromChapter 17 / Lesson 15
In this lesson, learn about the eight cranial bones, their locations, and understand the cranium's function.
Related to this Question
- Which bone of the skull articulates with the vertebral column? A. hyoid bone. B. Occipital bone. C. Parietal bone. D. Temporal bone. E. Sphenoid bone.
- Which of the following is NOT a cranial bone? A. Maxillae. B. parietal bones. C. sphenoid. D. temporal bones.
- Which of the following bones articulates (i.e., forms a joint) with the mandible? a) temporal. b) sphenoid. c) ethmoid. d) occipital. e) frontal.
- Which of the following is a bone of the braincase? a. parietal bone. b. zygomatic bone. c. maxillary bone. d. Lacrimal bone. e. Vomer.
- Which bone forms the back of your head? a. The temporal bone. b. The occipital bone. c. The ethmoid bone. d. The sphenoid bone. e. The parietal bone.
- Which of the following bones has a styloid process? A. Ethmoid. B. Occipital. C. Sphenoid. D. Temporal. E. Frontal.
- Which of the following is a cranial bone? a) Temporal bone b) Mandible c) Maxilla d) Nasal bone
- Which of the following bones is classified as a facial bone? a) Parietal b) Temporal c) Occipital d) Sphenoid e) Nasal
- Which of the following bones is paired? (a) Vomer (b) Temporal (c) Sphenoid (d) Mandible (e) Maxilla.
- Within which skull bone are the stapes, incus, and malleus (ear bone or ear ossicles) found? A) Ethmoid B) Occipital C) Sphenoid D) Temporal
- The sphenoid bone articulates with all of the following bones except the _______ bone. a) occipital b) mandible c) frontal d) parietal e) temporal
- Which of these bones is a cranial bone? A. Frontal bone. B. Mandible. C. Maxilla. D. Zygomatic bone. E. Sternum.
- What are the articulations and associations of the following bone structure? Bones of the skull: Frontal, occipital, parietal, and temporal
- Which of the following does the mandible belong to? A. Cranial bone B. Facial bone
- Which bone is the site of the mental foramen? a) temporal b) sphenoid c) maxilla d) mandible e) palatine
- Which of the following bones possesses the supraorbital foramen? a. frontal b. occipital c. temporal d. axis
- Which cranial bone is unique in that it articulates with every other cranial bone? a. sphenoid bone b. parietal bone c. ethmoid bone d. temporal bone
- Which bone directly articulates with the vertebral column? a. Occipital. b. Sphenoid. c. Vomer. d. Temporal.
- Which of the following is not a cranial bone? A) frontal B) parietal C) palatine D) temporal E) occipital
- Which of the following bones possesses the styloid process? a. frontal b. occipital c. temporal d. axis
- Which of the following bones possesses the foramen magnum? a. frontal b. occipital c. temporal d. axis
- Which of the following bone names is described as condyles in this bone articulate with the atlas? A. ethmoid B. frontal C. hyoid D. lacrimal E. mandible F. maxilla G. nasal H. occipital I. palatine J. parietal K. sphenoid L. temporal M. vomer N. zygomati
- Which of the following bones possesses the zygomatic process? a. frontal b. occipital c. temporal d. axis
- Which of the following does the palatine bone belong to? A. Cranial bone B. Facial bone
- Which of the following does the frontal bone belong to? A. Cranial bone B. Facial bone
- Which of the following bones possesses the mastoid process? a. frontal b. occipital c. temporal d. axis
- Which of the following does the styloid process belong to? A. Cranial bone B. Facial bone
- Which of the following options is correct? The styloid process, zygomatic process, and auditory ossicles are associated with the. a. Parietal bone b. Occipital bone c. Temporal bone d. Ulna e. Sphenoid
- Which of the following is a single bone and not a pair? A. parietal B. temporal C. lacrimal D. sphenoid
- Which of these skull bones does NOT contain a paranasal sinus? a. frontal b. parietal c. maxillary d. ethmoid e. sphenoid
- Which bone makes up the forehead and the anterior part of the calvaria? A. occipital B. frontal C. parietal D. temporal
- Which of the fetal cranial bones may appear to be 2 bones in the fetus? (a) occipital (b) temporal (c) frontal (d) parietal.
- Which cranial bone articulates with part of the frontal, parietal, and temporal bones to form part of the lateral portion of the cranium, and is visible within the orbits?
- The bone of the skull which forms the upper sides and back of the roof of the skull is the: a. occipital. b. sphenoid. c. temporal. d. parietal.
- Which of the following does the jugular foramen belong to? A. Cranial bone B. Facial bone
- The sagittal suture of the skull joins what two bones? (a) Frontal and temporal (b) Temporal and parietal (c) Parietal and parietal (d) Occipital and occipital.
- Which bones form the greatest portion of the roof of the cranial cavity? a) parietal b) frontal c) temporal d) occipital e) maxillary
- Which bone of the skull contains the occipital condyles?
- The foramen rotundum is located within what bone? a. parietal b. frontal c. sphenoid d. occipital
- Which cranial bones overlay the parietal lobes of the cerebrum?
- Which of the following is not one of the bones of the cranium? a. frontal b. occipital c. temporal d. axis
- Which paired bones form the lateral, posterior portions of the cranium? A) frontal B) maxilla C) sphenoid D) parietal E) zygomatic
- The mastoid process is a structural prominence of ________. (a) The sphenoid bone (b) The parietal bone (c) The occipital bone (d) The temporal bone (e) The ethmoid bone.
- Which bone articulates with the scapula at the glenoid cavity? a. Ileum. b. Thoracic vertebra. c. Humerus. d. Clavicle.
- Which cranial bones overlay the temporal lobes of the cerebrum?
- Which cranial bone articulates with the vomer to form the nasal septum, the frontal bone to allow for passage of the olfactory nerves, and the lacrimal and sphenoid bones to form the medial portion of the orbits?
- Which bone is the odd bone out and why? In these two groups. Parietal bone, sphenoid bone, frontal bone, occipital bone Lacrimal bone, nasal bone, zygomatic bone, maxilla
- Which of the following does the hypophyseal fossa belong to? A. Cranial bone B. Facial bone
- Which of the following pertains to the forehead bone? |A. Ethmoid|B. Frontal|C. Hyoid|D. Lacrimals|E. Mandible |F. Maxillae|G. Nasals|H. Occipital|I. Palatines|J. Parietals |K. Sphenoid|L. Temporals|M. Vomer|N. Zygomatic
- Which bone contains diaphysis and epiphysis areas, a tuberosity near its middle, and is proportionally more compact than spongy bone? A) humerus B) parietal bone C) talus D) cervical vertebra
- Which part of the mandible articulates with the temporal region of the skull?
- The bone that forms the back and part of the base of the skull is the ______. (a) parietal bone (b) temporal bone (c) occipital bone (d) sphenoid bone.
- Which of the following bones is not derived from the 1st pharyngeal arch? 1. Mandible 2. Styloid process
- Which suture connects the parietal bones and the occipital bone?
- Which cranial bone overlays the occipital lobe of the cerebrum?
- Which branch of the Trigeminal Nerve will pass through the foramen ovale of the sphenoid bone? A. CNV-I: Opthalmic Branch B. CNV-II: Maxillary Branch C. CNV-lIl: Mandibular Branch
- Which one of the following bones forms a joint with another bone? a. Manubrium. b. Vertebra. c. Ischium. d. Ilium.
- a. What type of bone is the parietal bone (cranial bone) - long, short, flat, or irregular? b. Which kind of skeleton is it a part of - the axial or the appendicular?
- Which of the following options is correct? All of the following belong to the facial subdivision of skull bones except A. sphenoid. B. maxilla. C. zygomatic bone. D. palatine.
- Which of the following does the nasal bone belong to? A. Cranial bone B. Facial bone
- Which of the following pairs is mismatched? A) mandible: movable facial bone in skull B) maxilla: alveolar processes C) sphenoid: external acoustic meatus D) frontal: glabella E) occipital: foramen magnum
- Which bone forms the supraorbital margin of the periorbital region? A) Frontal B) Zygomatic C) Maxillary D) Sphenoid
- Which of the following is associated with the ethmoid bone? A. Foramen ovale. B. Perpendicular plate. C. Sella turcica. D. Superior orbital fissure. E. Tympanum.
- Match each skull structure in the numbered list with the correct bone in the lettered bone. | 1. sella turcica| a. sphenoid | 2. crista galli| b. maxilla |3. foramen magnum| c. frontal bone |4. zygomatic process| d. parietal bone |5. condylar process| e.
- Which of the following bones possesses the external auditory meatus? a. frontal b. occipital c. temporal d. axis
- Which of the following bones is a facial bone? (a) Maxilla (b) Incus (c) Hyoid (d) Ethmoid (e) Sphenoid.
- On which of the following does the lateral pterygoid muscle insert? a) body of the mandible. b) the alveolar process of the maxilla. c) hyoid bone. d) styloid process. e) neck of the mandible (i.e., condyloid process)
- Fill in the blank. The condyles of the occipital bone articulates with _______ specific vertebra.
- Which of the following are joints between skull bones? A. Cartilaginous B. Fibrous C. Synovial D. Epiphyseal disk E. Suture F. Symphysis
- Which centrally located cranial bone articulates with all other cranial bones and houses the pituitary gland?
- Which of the bones listed below does not articulate with the clavicle? A) scapula B) rib 1 C) manubrium D) 7th vertebra
- Which portion of the temporal bone houses the structures of the internal ear? A) squamous B) petrous C) styloid D) zygomatic E) mastoid
- The sagittal suture is positioned between ________. (a) The sphenoid and temporal bones (b) The temporal and parietal bones (c) The occipital and parietal bones (d) The occipital and frontal bones (e) The right and left parietal bones.
- What two cranial bones are shown here? O A frontal and temporal O B frontal and parietal O C parietal and occipital O D occipital and frontal
- The sella turcica, which houses the pituitary (brain), is part of what cranial bone? a. temporal b. frontal c. parietal d. occipital e. sphenoid
- Which of the following bones is considered part of the axial skeleton? (a) Clavicle (b) Scapula (c) Ilium (d) Pubis (e) Sacrum.
- Which of these is not one of the facial bones? A) frontal B) maxilla C) vomer D) mandible E) zygomatic
- Which of the following does the carotid canal belong to? A. Cranial bone B. Facial bone
- Which of the following is formed by endochondral ossification? (a) Mandible (b) Clavicle (c) Femur (d) Bones of skull.
- The Olfactory nerve sits in what structure of what bone? a) Cribriform plate of the Ethmoid b) Sella Turcica of the Sphenoid c) Cribriform plate of the Sphenoid d) Sella Turcica of the Ethmoid e) Cribriform plate of the Occipital Bone
- Which 2 bones make up the floor of the nasal cavity? a. Maxilla and sphenoid b. Palatine and maxilla c. Ethmoid and maxilla d. Sphenoid and palatine
- The auditory ossicles are housed in which cranial bone? A) sphenoid B) ethmoid C) zygomatic D) temporal E) lacrimal
- The _____ forms by endochondral ossification. a. frontal bone b. humerus c. occipital bone. d. temporal bone.
- What skull bone is the sella turcica located on? a) Sphenoid b) Ethmoid c) Glenoid d) Adenoid
- Which of these bones of the appendicular skeleton are unpaired? A) humerus B) clavicle C) Femur D) None; all appendicular bones are paired.
- Which of the following is a bone marking described as a round or oval opening through a bone? a. Meatus b. Ramus c. Foramen d. Fossa e. Epicondyle
- The sagittal suture is located between the ________. (a) two parietal bones (b) frontal and parietal bones (c) parietal and temporal bones (d) parietal and occipital bones (e) frontal and temporal bones.
- Which of the following is not part of the cranium? A. maxilla B. frontal C. occipital D. temporal
- Which cranial bone overlays the frontal lobe of the cerebrum?
- Which of the following contains bone tissue? A. Osseous Lacuna B. Nutrient foramen of a bone C. Nutrient canal of a bone D. Medullary cavity of a bone E. Osteoid F. Metaphysis G. Osteoclast H. Osteoblast I. Osseous canaliculus J. Articular cartilage
- Which bone, commonly known as the "cheek bone", articulates with a portion of the temporal bone laterally and a portion of the maxilla anteriorly?
- Which of the following is NOT a component of the appendicular skeleton? a. scapula b. coxal bone c. femur d. sternum e. humerus
- Which of the following bone names or markings is described as the heads of these bones forming the knuckles? A. acromion B. capitulum C. carpals D. clavicle E. coracoid process F. coronoid fossa G. deltioid tuberosity H. glenoid cavity I. humerus J. metac
- Which of the following articulations is incorrect? Explain a) tubercle of rib transverse costal facets of the thoraic vertebrae b) mandibular condyle mandibular fossa of the temporal bone c) superior articular facet of the axis occipital condyles of the
- Which bone marking fits the following description: medial condyle of the humerus that articulates with the ulna? a. acromion b. capitulum c. coracoid process d. coronoid fossa e. deltoid tuberosity f. glenoid cavity g. medial epicondyle h. olecranon fossa
- In anatomy, what is the most anterior structure of a vertebra? - spinous process - lamina - body - vertebral foramen
- Which of these is not a facial bone? a. Vomer b. Frontal c. Mandible d. Maxilla e. Zygomatic
- The foramen magnum is found in the A. Femur. B. Occipital bone. C. scapula. D. temporal bone. E. parietal bone.
- Which of the following bone features are articular surfaces? (Choose all that are correct.) a. acetabulum b. lateral epicondyle c. glenoid cavity d. tibial tuberosity e. illac fossa
- Which of the following is an example of the intramembranous bone? A) The parietal bone of the skull. B) The phalanges of the fingers. C) The humerus of the arm. D) The femur of the leg.
Explore our homework questions and answers library
Browse by subject