Which of the following amounts must be included in the gross income of the recipient? A. Child...
Which of the following amounts must be included in the gross income of the recipient?
A. Child support payments
B. Welfare payments
E. All of the above are included in gross income
One of the initial steps of determining a taxpayer's tax burden is to determine what income earned and payments received should be included in the taxable income. Once the taxable income is determined, the amount of tax due can be determined, but any deductions and credits that the taxpayer is eligible for must also be considered.
Answer and Explanation: 1
Become a Study.com member to unlock this answer! Create your accountView this answer
Answer choice: D. Royalties
Royalties must be included in the gross income of whoever receives the payment. Child support payments...
See full answer below.
Become a member and unlock all Study Answers
Start today. Try it nowCreate an account
Ask a question
Our experts can answer your tough homework and study questions.Ask a question Ask a question
Learn more about this topic:
fromChapter 3 / Lesson 5
Learn what income tax liability is. Find out what taxable and adjusted gross income are, discover how to calculate tax liability, and examine common deductions.
Related to this Question
- Which of the following items is included in an accrual basis taxpayer's gross income? - Receipt of a $10,000 payment for goods to be delivered next year - Receipt of $10,000 for services that will be provided next year - Receipt of a $10,000 payment fo
- Taxable income includes: a-child support payments b-sick pay c-welfare payments d-workers compensation payments
- Income that has been earned but not yet received in cash is known as: a. accrued income b. deferred income c. unearned income d. income received in advanced e. none of the above
- Alimony is: A) deductible by the payer. B) included in income by both the payer and the payee. C) included in income by the payer and deducted by the payee. D) an item that does not affect the payer and the payee's tax reporting.
- Which of the following items will be an addition to AMTI in arriving at ACE? a. Tax-exempt income b. Federal income tax c. Excess charitable contributions d. None of the above
- Which of the following items are inclusions in gross income? Select all that apply. a. Child support received from ex-spouse Interest received from General Electric bonds. b. Damages awarded due to personal injury resulting from an automobile accident. c.
- Which of the following statements about alimony payments is true? A) To qualify as alimony, payments must be made in cash. B) Alimony payments are includible in the gross income of the recipient. C) To qualify as alimony, payments cannot continue after
- What is included in other comprehensive income? Why are items included in other comprehensive income, but not included in net income? Should these items be included in net income or not included at all? Explain your answer.
- Under what conditions are alimony payments from divorces included in the recipient's gross income?
- Taxable income does not include: a. Alimony payments b. Qualified dividend payments c. Interest payments d. Child support payments
- Which of the following credits is not a credit that reduces the tax calculated on taxable income? a. Dependency credit. b. Child tax credit. c. Earned income credit. d. Credit for estimated tax payments.
- Identify one item of income that is included in gross income and one item of income that is excluded from gross income. Why are certain items excluded from gross income?
- .Gross income is defined as all income you receive in the form of money, goods, property, and services that isn't exempt from tax. It also includes income from sources outside the United States or from the sale of your main home (even if you can exclude
- Which of the following is included in gross income when received? a) illegal income b) eligible foreign income for exclusion c) income from the discharge of a debt in bankruptcy and insolvency d) refundable security deposit.
- Which of the following are true? A. Deductions are subtracted from gross income to arrive at AGI. B. Exemptions are subtracted from gross income to arrive at AGI. C. Deductions are subtracted from AGI to arrive at taxable income. D. Exemptions are sub
- Which of the following items are exclusions from gross income? Select all that apply. a. Alimony payments received b. Damages award received by the taxpayer for personal physical injury - none were pu
- What item should not be included in income? a. Worker's compensation payments. b. Prizes and awards. c. Jury duty pay. d. Sick pay.
- Which of the following items would require an adjusting entry, at the end of each accounting period? a. Garnishment for child support payments b. Withholdings for a 401(k) plan c. Vacation pay earned
- Rent income received in advance that is included for tax purposes when received, but recorded for book purposes when earned results in \\ A. expense items and deductions being taken for tax purposes before book purposes B. expense items and deductions bei
- Which of the following is referred to as net pay? a. Gross pay minus federal and state income taxes. b. Gross pay minus all deductions. c. Take-home pay plus all deductions. d. All deductions plus all with holdings.
- Which of the following taxpayers would not be subject to the penalty for underpayment of estimated tax in 2017? a. A taxpayer who does not have the cash to make the payments. b. A taxpayer whose estimated payments are 115 percent her tax liability for th
- If an account receivable written off during a prior year is subsequently collected during the current year, the amount collected must be included in the gross income of the current year to the extent it created a tax benefit in the prior year. a. True. b
- Clay is preparing his federal income tax return. Which of the following items should be included in Clay's gross income? a. Rental payments made to Clay by tenants living in a house that Clay owns. b. Interest earned on several municipal bonds that Clay b
- Which provision is not justified by social consideration? a. refundable earned income credit b. adoption tax credit c. like-kid exchange treatment d. disallowance of illegal kickbacks e. none of above
- A taxpayer's earned income and AGI are both $34,500. The taxpayer's total tax liability (before any tax credits) is $1,300. The taxpayer's only tax credits are a $840 child and dependent care credit and the child tax credit for two qualifying children. Th
- Payroll and related expenses include: a. salaries and wages. b. fringe benefits. c. payroll taxes. d. all of the above.
- A taxpayer's earned income and AGI are both 34,500. The taxpayer's total tax liability is 1,300. The taxpayer's only tax credits are an $840 child and dependent care credit and the child tax credit for two qualifying children. The taxpayer's refundable ch
- Which of the following items would require an adjusting entry at the end of each accounting period? A. Garnishment for child support payments B. Withholdings for a 401(k) plan C. Vacation pay earned by employees D. Union dues withheld E. None of the abo
- Which of the following is not included in the taxpayer's basis of business property? a. Sales taxes paid with the purchase b. Title insurance paid with the purchase c. Amounts paid to have the property installed d. Amounts paid to have the property de
- For which of the following accounts would the amount recorded under partial tax allocation be equal to the amount recorded under comprehensive tax allocation? A) Income Tax Liability B) Deferred Tax Liability C) Income Tax Expense D) None of the above
- Earned income for purposes of an IRA contribution includes all of the following except: a. Tips are a form of earned income for purposes of making an IRA contribution. b. Even though alimony is not earned by the recipient, it is treated as earned income
- In accounting, do tax payments and withholding get included when finding gross income?
- Mary a single taxpayer with two dependent children has the following items of income and expense during 2015: Gross receipts from business: $144,000 Business Expenses: $180,000 Alimony Received: $22,000 Interest Income: $3,000 Itemized Deductions: $24
- What type of deductions is directly deducted from the Gross Income? a. Deductions for AGI. b. Tax-exempt income. c. Tax credit. d. Itemized deductions
- Which, if any, of the following correctly describes the earned income credit? a. Would be available regardless of the amount of the taxpayer's adjusted gross income. b. Not available to a surviving sp
- What income is deferred to a later year when computing taxable income but is included in earnings and profits (E&P) in the current year?
- Which of the following are considered taxable gifts? I. Transfer of wealth to a dependent family member that represents support. II. Payment of son's tuition for law school directly to the institution. III. Payment of $8,000 of medical bills for a frie
- An item of income generally constitutes gross income, unless a provision of the IRC specifically states that all or part of it is not treated as income. Certain items are not treated as income for federal income tax purposes even though no IRC section spe
- ________ Items are used to track funds that are included with a paycheck and exclude gross wages.
- Which of the following is included in determining the total support of a dependent who is a qualifying relative? A) Fair rental value of lodging provided B) Allocable portion of a mortgage payment on lodging facility C) Social Security benefits added to a
- Which of the following is not a basic concept of income? A. psychic income B. real income C. money income D. gross income
- Which is not a source of federal revenue? a. Employment taxes. b. Estate and gift taxes. c. Sales tax. d. Income taxes and individuals.
- What deductions are allowed for taxable income purposes but denied for earnings and profits (E&P)?
- Consider the following data. Amount Amount Adjusted gross income $56,240 Itemized deduction $13,500 Credit for child and dependent care expenses $760 Federal income tax withheld $7,311 Amount for pe
- Which provision is not justified by social considerations? a) refundable earned income credit b) adoption tax credit c) like-kind exchange treatment d) disallowance for illegal kickbacks e) none of the above.
- Nona has an AGI of$38,000 (all from earned income), 2 qualifying children, and is filing as head of household. What amount of earned income credit is she entitled to?
- What are the names and representations of the three subtotals of income and final total of income on the income statement?
- Which of the following are deductions for AGI? a. Qualified moving expenses b. Reimbursed employee business expenses c. Alimony d. a, b, and c
- Indicate the amount the taxpayer must include in gross income: Steve was awarded a $7,600 scholarship to attend State Law School. The scholarship pays Steve's tuition and fees.
- With respect to income from services, which of the following is true? A) The income is always amortized over the period in which the services will be rendered by an accrual basis taxpayer. B) A cash basis taxpayer can spread the income from a 12-month ser
- Which of the following items are inclusions in gross income? Select all that apply. a. During the year, stock that the taxpayer purchased as an investment doubled in value. b. Amount an off-duty moto
- Which of the following items are inclusions in gross income? a. During the year, stock the taxpayer purchased as an investment doubled in value. b. Amount an off-duty motorcycle police officer recei
- What is adjusted gross income (AGI)? a) The taxable income after deductions b) The taxable income before deductions c) The taxpayer's after-tax income d) The amount that is subject to tax.
- Marvin, who is claimed as a dependent by his parents, is 16. He received income of $3,100 from a trust fund and $500 from wages. He had $1,100 in itemized deductions. What is his taxable income?
- Which of the following is not included in the taxpayer's basis of business property? a. Sales taxes paid with the purchase b. Title insurance paid with the purchase c. Amounts paid to have the property installed d. Amounts paid to have the property del
- What amount, if any, would be included in gross income of Ann who received $2,500 from her insurance company when her car, which cost $3,500 was stolen?
- What income is deferred to a later year when computing taxable income but is included in E&P in the current year?
- Gifts or bequests of specific sums of money or of specific property will distributed income tax free to the beneficiary if: a. the fiduciary so elects on the Form 1041 for the estate or trust. b. they can be paid or distributed only from the income of an
- Which of the following three factors determine most taxpayers' filing requirements? a Gross income, filing status, and dependents b. Age, occupation, and gross income c. Fling status, age, and dependents d. Gross income, filing status, and age
- Other revenue refers to all of the following except: a. salary and wages b. appropriations and grants c. income from investments d. revenue from contributions
- Under the cash method of tax accounting, tax deductions are generally taken when: a) the liability arises b) the taxpayer elects to take the deduction c) payment is made d) None of the above
- Gift property (disregarding any adjustment for gift tax paid by the donor): a. Has no basis to the donee because he or she did not pay anything for the property. b. Has the same basis to the donee a
- Which of the following represents taxable gifts? I) Transfer of wealth to a dependent family member that represents support. II) Payment of son's tuition for law school directly to the school. III) Payment of $14,000 of medical bills for a friend directly
- Indicate the amount the taxpayer must include in gross income: Gene won $435 in the office March Madness pool.
- Which of the following items would be an Itemized Deduction on Schedule A of Form 1040 "not" subject to the Two Percent (2%) Of Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) Limitation? a. Professional dues paid by an accountant (employed by Ford Motor Corporation) the Na
- Which is not a source of federal revenue? Income taxes on Corporations Library Tax FICA taxes Estate and Gift Taxes
- Which of the below allowances would have the least amount of taxes withheld for federal income tax purposes? - S-0 - S-3 - S-2 - S-1
- From the items listed below, determine the amount of income to be included in Mr. E's tax return for the current year. Medical insurance premium paid by the employer under a plan $375 Nondiscriminatory group permanent life insurance premiums paid by the e
- Indicate the amount the taxpayer must include in gross income: Phil won $585 in the scratch-off state lottery. There is no state income tax.
- Abyan had some taxable income of $38,300. Calculate her net tax payable including Medicare levy.
- Abyan had a taxable income of $38,300. Calculate her net tax payable including Medicare levy.
- Indicate the amount the taxpayer must include in gross income: Ellen won a $1,210 cash prize in a school essay contest. The school is a tax-exempt entity, and Ellen plans to use the funds to pay her college education.
- Which of the following deductions may not be claimed on Form 1040A? a. Educator expenses b. Moving expenses c. Student loan interest deduction d. Tuition and fees deduction
- Which of the following is true of depreciation for an estate? A. It is allocated between the trust and beneficiaries based on the income allocated to each B. It is allocated entirely to the estate for tax purposes C. It is allocated entirely to the ben
- Treatment for Special Donations received: a. Should be treated as Revenue Receipt. b. Should be treated based on its volume. c. Should be credited as a special account (head) and recorded in the Balance Sheet. d. None of the above.
- Which of the following types of payments made by a private organization would be subject to all statutory deductions? a) Signing bonus b) Death benefits c) Directors' fees d) None of the above
- Which of the following causes taxable income to be a smaller amount than gross income for an individual taxpayer? a) Nonrefundable tax credits. b) The greater of itemized deductions or the standard deduction. c) Exclusions from gross income. d) Refundable
- Which of the following types of allowable deductions can be claimed as deductions from AGI? a. Moving expenses b. Alimony expenses c. Home mortgage interest expenses d. Student loan interest expenses
- Sales taxes withheld by retailers are: A. included in revenue with a matching expense recognized when paid to the appropriate taxing authority B. not included in revenue, but are placed into a payable account until forwarded to the taxing authority C. rec
- Which of the following items is likely to be completed last by a nonprofit corporation? a. The nonprofit corporation receives an exemption (from income taxes) from its state taxing authority b. The nonprofit corporation obtains a taxpayer ID by filing it
- Which of the following is least likely to be classified as a current liability? A. Wages payable B. Income taxes Payable C. Unemployment taxes payable D. Bonds payable
- Joe is 50 years old, unmarried without children, and has earnings during 2005 of $8,000. He is not claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's return. Does he qualify for the earned income credit? If so, calculate the amount of credit that is available t
- A deduction for salaries and wages can include: a. bonus payments. b. payments for services performed in prior years. c. advance payments for services to be performed in future years. d. both bonus
- An unmarried taxpayer with no dependents expects an adjusted gross income of $48,000 in a given year. His non-business deductions are expected to be $3400. a) What will his federal income tax be? b)
- An unmarried taxpayer with no dependents expects an adjusted gross income of 70,000 in a given year. His non-business deductions are expected to be 6000. a) What will his federal income tax be? b) H
- Would any of the following items be deductible on an individual's income tax return? If so, would the item be deductible for or from AGI? Explain each item. (a) Hobby expenditures of $3,000 in excess of hobby gross income (b) $3,000 loss on the sale of
- Which of the following amounts paid by an employer to an employee is not subject to withholding? A. Salary B. Bonus C. Commissions D. Reimbursement of expenses under an accountable plan E. All of the above are subject to withholding
- Gross unpaid salaries for the last payroll of the fiscal year were $4,200. Assume that employee income taxes withheld are $990 and that all earnings are subject to OASDI. (Round amounts to the nearest
- Nikkie and Jean have two children, Richard (age 4) and Roberta (age 3). For purposes of the tax on a child s unearned income, Richard has a net unearned income of $6,000 and Roberta has a net unearned income of $4,000. Assuming that their total tax on a
- Which of the following is excluded from gross income, on an individual's 20X14 tax return? a. 20X14 settlement from an employment discrimination lawsuit b. Seller of the Year award, in the form of a 2
- Sarah makes significant cash and non-cash contributions each year and claims them on her tax return. Which of the following is an invalid deductible charitable contribution?
- Tax deductions for adjusted gross income (AGI) are which of these? a. Deductions in determining adjusted gross income b. Always reduce taxable income dollar-for-dollar c. All of these d. Deductions "above the line"
- Which of the following statements regarding a QSST is correct? a. It is allowed up to 100 income beneficiaries. b. It requires actively pursuing the QSST status. c. It is allowed to accumulate income. d. The revocation of its election to be treated as
- The income tax base for an individual tax return is: a. Adjusted gross income minus from AGI deductions. b. Gross income. c. Realized income from whatever source derived. d. Adjusted gross income.
- Which of the following statements concerning federal gift and estate taxes is (are) correct? I. The donor s gross estate includes the amount of any gift taxes paid by the donor on gifts made within 3 years of death. II. Gifts made within 3 years of deat
- A taxpayer will be ineligible for the earned income credit if he or she has disqualified investment income of more than $3,150. Disqualified income includes all the following except: A) net capital gains. B) tax-exempt interest. C) net rental income. D) s
- Which of the following reports lists each employee's earnings and deductions? a. Current Earnings Report b. Payroll Journal c. Payroll Tax Report d. Tax Liability Report e. None of the above
- Which of the following items may not be subject to the self-employment tax? A) Amounts paid to an independent contractor who is the sole proprietor of his company B) Amounts received by an author as royalties from a book he wrote C) Rental income from apa
- Which credit(s) are Tom and Carol eligible to claim? A. Credit for other dependents. B. Child and dependent care credit. C. Earned income credit. D. They don't qualify for any credits..
- Which of the following are included in the employer's payroll taxes? a. SUTA taxes b. FUTA taxes c. social security taxes d. All are included in employer taxes.