How do you obtain pure crystals of sodium chloride from a mixture of sodium chloride and activated carbon powder?
- Different substances have different solubilities in water or other solvent.
- On the basis of their differences in solubility, a mixture of substances can be separated from each other by varying physical parameters of the solution, using common ions, or some other precipitation technique.
Answer and Explanation: 1
- Charcoal and NaCl have different solubilities in water.
- Charcoal is water-insoluble while NaCl is water-soluble.
- When the mixture of these two is...
See full answer below.
Learn more about this topic:
fromChapter 10 / Lesson 9
Study precipitate reactions. Determine precipitate solubility according to solubility rules. Learn to write ionic equations by following a molecular reaction.