Discuss the fundamental assumptions of organizational behavior as a field.
Discuss the fundamental assumptions of organizational behavior as a field.
The study of the behavior of the people in the organizational setting is known as organizational behavior. The main goal of this study is to make the organization and people more effective.
Answer and Explanation:
Organizational behavior is defined by two assumptions. The first is recognition of the dynamic nature of the organization. OB pays attention to both the behavior and the organizations in which the behavior takes place. Second, OB assumes that there is no "one best approach. OB emphasizes a contingency approach; that is, a recognition that behavior is a complex result of many interactive forces.
Become a member and unlock all Study Answers
Start today. Try it nowCreate an account
Ask a question
Our experts can answer your tough homework and study questions.Ask a question Ask a question
Learn more about this topic:
fromChapter 1 / Lesson 1
Define organizational behavior. Explore its uses within the workplace, the history surrounding its development, and its importance to the field of business.
Related to this Question
- What is the definition of assumptions in an organizational culture?
- Describe organizational behavior. Explain why it is important to be observant and understand organizational behavior in the workplace.
- Discuss how intellectual abilities are relevant to organizational behavior.
- Discuss discrimination and paraphrase with an example how its types can affect organizational behavior.
- In terms of organizational behavior, describe and explain Contingency Theory. Use examples.
- Identify the 10 perspectives identified in organizational development and the relevant underlying assumptions. What will be an ideal response?
- Discuss the three basic organizational structures.
- Discuss the theories of personality related to human resource management.
- Explain and discuss the impact of organizational culture on individual and team behaviour.
- How have the fields of psychology and sociology contributed to our understanding of organizational behavior?
- Discuss how the concepts and behaviors associated with servant leadership might be a source of conflict or might create operational challenges within the organization.
- How have the fields of psychology and sociology contributed to the understanding of organizational behavior? Provide examples to support your answer.
- What are the contributing disciplines of organizational behavior?
- Briefly explain the importance of individual mechanisms that feature in the integrative model of organizational behavior. What will be an ideal response?
- Discuss the importance of an organization's culture as a factor that determines an employee's ethical behavior.
- Discuss the role of situational factors in the trait and behavior approaches to leadership.
- Why is understanding behavior in an organization important? What are the ways to better understand behavior in the organization?
- What are the nature and scope of organizational behavior?
- Discuss the personal and organizational determinants of politics in organizations. What will be an ideal response?
- Explain the scientific method and its impact on organizational behavior.
- Describe the various theories of organizational effectiveness. Explain how ethical problems can arise when measuring organizational effectiveness.
- Different theory assumptions lead us to different questions. If you examined an organizational problem from a structural perspective, what are the important questions? If you examined an organizational problem from a conflict perspective, what are the imp
- Give a brief analysis of scientific management, administrative theory, bureaucracy model and administrative behavior.
- Explain the field of organizational development. What will be an ideal response?
- Define organizational behavior (OB). How does it differ from human resource management? What will be an ideal response?
- Briefly explain the importance of group mechanisms that feature in the integrative model of organizational behavior. What will be an ideal response?
- What are the various dimensions of organizational structure, and how do they affect organizational behavior? What will be an ideal response?
- Describe the various organizational factors that are related to political behavior.
- Briefly describe the factors that influence the process of organizational design. What will be an ideal response?
- What are the implications of a paradigm shift for organizational behavior?
- What is organizational behavior and why is it important?
- Discuss the three views of strategic management, and the importance for managers of understanding the organizational domain.
- Explain the specific factors of a subjective framework in organizational analysis. What are the implications of these factors for managers when analyzing the organization?
- Discuss how cultural factors, both globally and inside organizations, must be addressed as part of strategic HR management.
- Discuss the theories of perception related to human resource management.
- What are the components of organizational innovation and their importance to organizational behavior?
- Discuss the four behavioral/organizational issues that can lead to system implementation failure. Why do you think these issues are so often minimized or not addressed?
- Describe the elements of organizational culture and discuss the importance of organizational subcultures.
- Evaluate which of the three management theories works best for your work environment or an organization with which you are familiar.
- What behaviors and attitudes should be cultivated in an organization?
- Discuss the concept of organizational culture. How does this affect a team engaged in CQI (continuous quality improvement)?
- Outline organizational behaviour modification and social cognitive theory and explain their relevance to employee motivation
- How can the field of organizational behavior contribute to both the effective functioning of organizations and to the well-being of individuals? Are these goals inconsistent? Why or why not?
- Discuss the nature of an organization's environment identify and describe the components of its general, task, and internal environment.
- Discuss the HMIS/HIT alignment with the organizational strategy.
- Explain why there are few absolutes in organizational behavior. Despite this, how are we able to make valid predictions? What will be an ideal response?
- Describe the factors to be considered in selecting an organizational structure for a business.
- How does organizational behavior typically differ in a centralized organization versus in a decentralized organization?
- How does the structure of an organization affect employee behavior and workplace productivity�
- Explain and provide a workplace example of how stereotypes function in an organizational setting.
- An organizational culture may be hard to define but it has a major impact on the behavior of individuals in the organization. Discuss the validity of this question.
- Identify the major problems in this situation and explain how they impact the organization. Consider both behavioral and analytical factors. Specifically, how might managerial accounting concepts, tools, or
- Explain how managers shape organizational culture and ethical values.
- Critically discuss the concept of workplace attitudes by focusing on the following aspects: a. What is workplace attitude? b. How does workplace attitude influence employee behavior? c. What are the three components of attitude? Give practical examples of
- Identify and discuss the five organizational forms of Mintzberg's framework. What will be an ideal response?
- Identify the key individual outcomes in the studies of organizational behavior and describe the factors that affect these key outcomes that are, describe the integrative model of OB. What will be an ideal response?
- Define organizational culture and discuss its three primary implications.
- Which of the following determinants of behavior does organizational behavior study?
- Define an organization from a technical and behavioral perspective.
- Describe the criteria involved in judging organizational strengths and weaknesses.
- Describe how an organizational staffing model can contribute to organizational success.
- What were the early influences on the study of organizational behavior?
- Critically discuss the underlying assumptions that the Heroic and Engaging leadership theories make. Draw on the Mintzberg's managerial styles with examples to illustrate your answer.
- Explain the contradictions in an organization's interaction with its environment. What will be an ideal response?
- Please explain and discuss--Mintzberg's General Model of the Strategic Decision Process (The Structure of ''Unstructured'' Decision Processes.)
- Explain in detail the organizational factors' influence on ethical decision-making. Give an example.
- Explain the basic techniques of organizational development used to implement change. What will be an ideal response?
- Outline and explain the key principles guiding organizational diagnosis. What will be an ideal response?
- Discuss in what organizational circumstances a subjective framework might be adopted and the limitations of ignoring factors contained in the objective framework. Use examples to illustrate.
- Discuss how individual personality differences affect the ways in which members of an organization perceive, manage, and experience stress.
- Discuss how the need for control over foreign operations varies with firms' strategies and core competencies. What are the implications for the choice of organizational structure and entry mode?
- Identify 10 theories that have influenced the practice of human resources management.
- Understanding human behavior is important in people management. Explain the application of personality and attitude in an organization.
- Why is the study of organizational behavior considered a science?
- Explain the concept of organizational climate.
- How does an understanding of management and organizational behavior lead to organizational effectiveness and efficiency? Why is the study of management theories (classical, behavioral and modern manag
- Organisational Behaviour is the study of both group and individual performance and activity within an organisation. Explain the three (3) importance of organizational behaviour in the field of management. Give example for the 3 importance of organizationa
- Briefly describe the trait approach to leadership. What does the trait approach suggest about effective organizational leadership? How might you utilize the trait approach in an organization?
- Explain how individual differences and organizational constraints affect conflicts and decision making. If you were an organizational leader, describe how individual differences would influence conflict negotiations.
- Explain how analytical data and conceptual thinking can be used to enhance organizational decision making.
- How does the concept of "talking the talk and walking the walk" relate to organizational values?
- Differentiate between organizational structure and organizational design. What will be an ideal response?
- What is the contribution of personality and perception for the development of Organizational Behavior?
- Explain the concepts of analytical and emergent approaches to strategic management.
- What are the concepts of organizational structure and performance?
- Discuss how analysing the internal environment will enable your organisation to develop successful business strategies. Use appropriate tools to support your answer.
- Discuss the concept of "image." How does image affect one's interpretation of an organization? How does it affect how one approaches organizational issues? How does image affect function and outcomes
- Explain the factors affecting organizational buying behavior.
- Discuss the role of corporate culture in ethical decision-making. Discuss how organizational leaders use their power to influence and shape corporate culture.
- Briefly explain Hofstede's model of national cultures. Discuss how this model may be used in formulating an organizational strategy.
- Describe the organizational factors that create stress and discuss how they compare to the factors of resistance to change. How are they similar and different? Are the methods for managing change useful for managing stress caused by organizational factors
- Discuss the five steps involved in implementing an organizational strategy.
- How can you personally benefit from the study of organizational behavior? Describe five ways that studying organizational behavior benefits you.
- How does the environment affect an individual's behavior at work or organization?
- Describe the opportunities that change creates for organizational behaviour.
- Discuss abusive supervision in organizational behavior, including examples, consequences, and remedial actions.
- Explain how organizational culture impacts the work output of an organization.
- Explain how the informal organization can create problems for managers and outline how these problems can be addressed or managed.