1. How are the objectives of lean manufacturing achieved?
a. Supplier partnering
b. Product-oriented production layout
c. Employee involvement
d. All of these
2. Which of the following is not a characteristic of lean manufacturing?
a. reduces inventory
b. emphasizes a process-oriented layout
c. reduces setup time
d. emphasizes pull manufacturing
3. A company using a lean manufacturing system will likely debit materials purchases to:
a. Raw and In Process Inventory
b. Materials Inventory
c. Cost of Goods Sold
d. Work in Process Inventory
4. The lean manufacturing philosophy attempts to reduce setup times, which will:
a. decrease within-batch wait time.
b. increase batch sizes.
c. increase within-batch wait time.
d. not affect batch sizes.
5. Which of the following is an example of value-added time?
a. Processing time
b. Wait time during inspection
c. Both wait time during inspection and wait time in inventory
d. Wait time in inventory
6. A certain manufacturing process consists of a lean manufacturing cell for each customer.
The following information relates to only one customer's lean cell for the month of May: labor and overhead, $30,000; materials costs, $10,000.
Planned production included 100 hours to produce 500 motor drives. However, actual production was 400 units, and motor drives shipped amounted to 1,000 units.
From the foregoing information, determine the budgeted materials cost per unit.
7. Foley Electronics Corporation manufactures and assembles electronic motor drives for video cameras. The company assembles the motor drives for several accounts. The process consists of a lean cell for each customer. The following information relates only to one customer's lean cell for the coming year. Projected labor and overhead, $4,800,000; materials costs, $25 per unit. Planned production included 2,400 hours to produce 19,200 motor drives. Actual production for August was 1,300 units, and motor drives shipped amounted to 1,260 units.
From the foregoing information, determine the budgeted cell conversion cost per unit.
8. If a product is manufactured in batch sizes of 20 units and it takes 2 minutes to manufacture each unit within each of two operations, what is the within-batch wait time?
a. 4 minutes
b. 38 minutes
c. 76 minutes
d. 80 minutes
Lean manufacturing is a popular way to make a company's process more efficient in both cost and time. Lean manufacturing can cut down on the storage space needed for inventory which reduces the potential for excess and obsolescence.
Answer and Explanation: 1
1. Answer: D
Explanation: Lean manufacturing is not a simple implementation. All parties involved must participate to meet the end goal.
See full answer below.
Learn more about this topic:
fromChapter 8 / Lesson 9
Lean manufacturing is a philosophy aimed at eliminating waste. Learn about the contributions of lean manufacturing and the theory of constraints in removing activities and resources with no added value.